Trinity Episcopal Church
203 Algoma Blvd, Oshkosh, WI
Trinity Episcopal Church
Tiffany Angel of Prayer

In 1892 Charles Barber commissioned the TIFFANY STUDIOS of New York to create the large stained glass rose window for Trinity Episcopal Church. The window was in memory of his wife Sarah, “Daisy” who died at the age of 34. The angels delicate face closely resembles her portrait.

For 114 years the angel has watched over the faithful from high above the choir loft at Trinity Episcopal Church. The 13’ diameter stained glass window was in disrepair; it had no protective glazing for many years and was exposed to the elements and smoke of the prosperous Oshkosh mills. The multiple layers of plated glass were filled with dirt and debris minimizing its glory. Full restoration was necessary to preserve the windows legacy.

Preservation of the original materials is critical. Broken glass was meticulously preserved; edge glued and dyed with a special tinted adhesive. The age and weight of the window itself over the years caused the glass to buckle and crack. The window had extensive plating; layering of glass. Tiffany Studios windows are famous for this technique.

Parish members were actively involved and made a number of trips to the studio to see the stages of work as it steadily progressed.

Following the six-month restoration process, the Angel of Prayer window was re-installed in time for Christmas services. As our artisans placed each of the 12 large sections into its frame; the beautiful details long obscured came back into focus.

Oakbrook Esser Studios is grateful for the steadfast support, enthusiasm, and fund-raising efforts of parish member junior warden Achim Reschenberg, who made preservation of the church’s historical legacy in stained glass windows possible.

Tiffany Stained Glass Restoration

BeforeRemovalOpen FrameRubbingDirty glassDismantles piecesAngel memorialNew glazing beginsGlazed sectionCompleted angelInstallation of angel

St. Luke and St. Paul
Oakbrook Esser Studios restores stained glass windows by Franz Mayer of Munich at Trinity Episcopal.   Click here for more
Trinity Episcopal Church